Monday, August 11, 2008

A fish story







A big one got away today. Chris Scwhinn and I went fishing on the Mississippi again. We started on the edge of a little pool off the river at about the level of 33rd Street:


View Larger Map

There were a number of large fish, probably carp of catfish, in the shallow water. We decided to go for bass on the river side of the spit of land, just north of there. No luck.

Then we went down to Minnehaha Creek, mentioned in Lonfellow's poem, Song of Hiawatha.

Here we had better luck, along with seeing a beautiful Heron. I hooked a big fish, possibly a small or largemouth bass, on my 8 lb. test line. It started to spool out my line, so I tightened the drag. I obviously too much, because as I started to reel the big boy in, my line broke. Oh well. It was a beautiful spot.

We saw a number of large fish, probably carp, resting in pools in the creek. We tried to find a few that Chris could try to catch with his fly rod, but we were in a rush and gave up.

Photos below.

2 comments:

Chris said...

You'll need to reel in a blue whale if you're "fishing for sanity"

su said...

i don't know about that arik5 -
sometimes even just actually touching a tadpole is enough to recover sanity.
actually just getting close enough to the water
and as for getting one's feet in the water.
and sitting under the trees with the birds and their never ending play list
that harbors not one discordant note.

one actually does not need to catch anything for sanity to return - just the river.